A Walk by the Seaside

I am a big city girl through and through. Bright lights, constant distraction and the blissful anonymity walking down the streets is when I am at my happiest.

St Andrews is the opposite of that. It is impossible to walk through this wee Scottish town without meeting at the very least a dozen people you know. However, it is also one of the most beautiful places you could live. Surrounded by the North Sea and littered with ancient buildings (or ruins in some cases) there is always a new crook to discover even when you walk the same paths for the hundredth time. If you're really lucky, the sun may come out of its hiding place among the clouds and grace you with its presence. But that almost never happens. Except it did during our latest visit in December.



The Cathedral ruins are a magical place no matter what mood the weather is in. But nothing beats a clear blue sky and warming sun rays on a cold winter's day. My grandma kept snapping pictures in awe of the beauty around her. It wasn't enough to impress this girl and rouse her glance away from her phone screen. Young folks these days...



To be fair, I was busy taking care of something important. Dinner reservations to be made, lunch options to be weighed.



We slowly made our way away from the town towards the Pier, frequently looking back.



It is a breathtaking view though.



 Mom had never seen St Andrews in all its sunny glory. I'd like to think she fell a little bit more in love with every step along the Pier.



Still locked to my screen. I don't even have excuses anymore.



Ah, finally!



The Pier is part of many university traditions. Standing at the very front it takes a lot of strength to ever leave that spot again.




The sea was having a calm morning.





Look at that happy face. If big cities are my heaven on earth, Mom is happiest by the sea. And it shows.




It was great to be back again. I never would have thought I could love a small Scottish town by the sea so much. Apparently, even us big city girls can be lured to the dark side from time to time.

Comments

Popular Posts