Alternative Beach Season

I don't think anyone could love the sea more than my mom does. In fact her love is so big, it can't be contained to traditional beach seasons. Everyone can have fun in the sun during summer. But there is a very special beauty about beach towns during winter. They are almost empty, most restaurants have closed and what is left is a small community of people who want to get away from the crowds and the noise of the city. Another bonus is that hotels are much cheaper around that time of the year.

So we headed to the North, ready to conquer the cold and whatever else may lurk behind the wall (otherwise known as the town of Heringsdorf). Sadly, we did not encounter Jon Snow on our adventure. But any good polar expedition has to be well prepared. In my case that means layering on enough warm clothes to put the Michelin man to shame.



The weather, unfortunately, wasn't kind to us. Still, we braved the cold wind to explore and found the biggest wicker beach chair I have ever seen.



We continued on to the pier and said hello to the slow-rolling waves. As it turns out, the skiing gloves may have been a bit much after all.




We decided to ignore the weather and go on a stroll along the beach. After all, a beach vacation is a beach vacation and nothing could wipe the smile off our faces.





Though the mist refused to clear, I couldn't help myself. There is something about the beach that makes me turn back into a six year old child, jumping over puddles included.




I don't know how the seagulls stand the ice cold wind though. It must be their built-in down coat.




I know it doesn't look too cold when you see the pictures, so here is your proof. See, I told you, freezing!



And that wasn't the only ice in Heringsdorf. They had a whole rink of it (see what I did there). Being the always well-prepared Germans we are, we had brought our scating shoes along, because the plastic ones they rent out somehow aren't made for my feet. They give me blisters and bruises that last for weeks. So, my trusted twentyfive year old leather shoes just have to last forever.




The first few rounds are always a bit shaky and I have never figured out how to break gracefully. I usually just bump into the side fence.



After a good night's sleep, the sky looked much kinder. Look at those fluffy white clouds and that baby blue sky.



Naturally, we bundled up again (the temperatures did not get the note, unfortunately) and headed out.




Taking pictures certainly makes more fun when the sun comes out to play.



 Can you spot the sneaky hint of my dutiful photographer? I don't have a shadow of a doubt.



Sadly, it seems the jellyfish didn't make the night.



We found ourselves a little red boat which I wanted to hop on and sail away with. Mom wasn't sold on the idea though and sailing trips just aren't meant to be embarked on alone.



We finally made it over to Ahlbeck with its slightly less impressive pier. No, I am not biased.



After spending the whole day outside, I couldn't wait to get back to our hotel. We stayed at the local Travel Charme which I cannot recommend enough. They serve a plentiful and delicious breakfast, have a lovely spa and the best pool I have ever seen.

I had to unfreeze my toes in the whirlpool first before diving in though.



But then I spent hours every evening in this beauty. I mostly had it to myself too. Another benefit of a winter beach vacation and the lack of other tourists.



But the pool didn't end there. No, it also had an outdoor part equally the size as its indoor glory. Heated to perfection for watching people dine in the restaurant and enjoying the fact that it is technically possible to swim by the even in the depth of winter with the steam rising up around you.



Life doesn't get much better than this. Sadly, all good things come to an end eventually.

Comments

Popular Posts