Floating through Life

As the weather in Hamburg is back to it's usual grey and the rain seems to be here to stay for a little while at least, what better way to spend my Saturday morning than reminiscing about the Sea and sunshine on Santorini.
One morning, before the cruise ships had brought in the hoards of daytime tourists, K and I headed out to the very tip of Oía and tracked the long way down to Ammoudi Bay. It's a picturesque photographer's dream and we spent hours upon hours at a table letting our feet be sprayed with ocean water.


This morning though, we left the cosy restaurants behind us and went around the rock formation and along the narrow path below. Mind your step indeed.



On the other side we were met with the most beautiful, serene Sea view and settled in for the day. There is no beach here, just rock formations which make for incredible fun while jumping off the clips, but can be uncomfortable to lay on all day. We had a hot pink floaty (which my aunt gave to me as a joke in preparation for this vacation but turned out really useful after all) and packed extra towels to soften our little nest.


We ducked into a little alcove, hoping we could get some shade throughout the day and not burn in the mid-noon sun. Once settled, we gave each other a minute to enjoy the view.


Before hopping right in. Oh, hey there pink floaty - fancy seeing you here.


I readily admit that I was never out of the water for longer than 30 minutes. It was just too perfectly warm and the jumps down the rocks too exciting to give up. So I revelled in child-like joy and floated through the Greek Sea.



On my rare excursions to the dry land K managed to snag this shot. A postcard picture if I have ever seen one. This trip was the first time I didn't buy postcards but created unique ones using an app and my own personal pictures. I have to say, I'm quite addicted. I have always loved sending and receiving postcards and being able to share holiday impressions with people at home and not just generic images is a definite upgrade. 


Anyway, have some more pictures of me gazing out and quietly contemplating how I can stay here forever. Without going broke.



But all good things must come to an end. So when we finally could not ignore our rumbling stomachs anymore, we tracked back ready to finish the day of with a feast.


Of course not without stopping for some more postcard-worthy snapping opportunities.


We sat down by the waterfront as always and opted for some chilled drinks after a whole day in the sun.


Still enjoying the view and asking ourselves how we got so lucky.



The obligatory bottle of Rosé as well as some tzatziki made a quick appearance and we dug straight in.


Playing little mermaid for a day is exhausting, let me tell you.


Finally, the main event - the best shrimp saganaki I ever head - appeared. Utterly fresh in taste while sumptuous and rich. I slurped every single last spoon and scrapped the rests off with bread. Not pictured but also to die for is their Greek salad.


We strolled around some more after dinner, letting the ocean wind breeze around us and watching the calamari dry.


And dreading the climb up with too full bellies.


Which meant another photoshoot to stall a little more. But with that background, how could we resist.


I gave up on my hair on the second day. It takes a lot of effort to get it to behave, but with the Sea and Pool water as well as the sun it became impossible. Thus, a rare glimpse into all its curly glory. It won't happen to often.


Comments

Popular Posts