Santorini Calling

I have been dying to go to Santorini for ages now. Whereever I wander on the interwebs I cannot seem to escape the beautiful shots of everyone and their mother flogging to this very Greek island.
So naturally I wanted in. Which is how I found myself hopping on a southbound plane from Hamburg in fine September day. One layover in Zurich, a combined four hours of flights as well as a short cab ride (before which I whisked off K who had flown in from London) we finally made it to our hotel just in time for this view.



The Finikia Memories Hotel is the loveliest place right outside Oìa with loevely white cave houses, the nicest staff and a view to remember.




We left our suitcases in our room and scooped out the Pool area which did not disappoint.



We continuously gaped back and forth not being able to decide what view we liked best. After a long travel and an even longer palnning period (we booked this little trip back in February) day we couldn't quite belief we finally made it and just how beautiful everything really was.



After some Greek style supper which included Tzatziki, Fava and an abundance of seafood on the rooftop terrace of the hotel restaurant we went right to bed. Waking up the next morning we rubbed the sleep out of our eyes and had the laziest of mornings. After breakfast we headed down to the Pool where we vowed to remain for the rest of the day.



In our defence, look at this shiny floaty thing K gave me for my birthday. How could we have resisted taking it for a ride or two or ten. There really was no choice but to alternate between splashing in the water and dozing in the shade.




This was right about when I decided never to go back into the office.




All good things must come to an end though. Come sundown we decided to leave our little place of heaven after all and went up hill to Ekklisia Profitis Ilias, one of hundreds of tiny churches all over the island to watch the sunset which is kind of a national sport in Santorini.



Doing so gave us our first good look over the whole of Santorini. And once again this Greek island stole our breath away. I'm starting to get what everone was on about.




Stretched out before us we saw Oìa for the first time and decided to go exploring the very next day.



But for now we settled into our front row seats and enjoyed the show.



In style of course with a little bubbly sidekick.





Taking way to many pictures as we watched the sun dip into the ocean. I never do take the time to watch the sunset at home either because I'm at work or I admit I simply forget. But sitting here in Santorini I was struck with how serene and calming an activity it is.








Once the sun had vanished behind the seashore we carefully made our way back down to Finikia. It's a good thing phones have build-in flashlights these days. If you travel of the main roads in Santorini you really need these in the dark.
We stumbled into a nice little tavern where we had Gyros and more Tzatziki and some Santorini wine before calling it a night. Next up then is Oìa.

Comments

Popular Posts