Lost in Hogwarts

It is pretty much common knowledge that I am a huge geek at heart and as such there are few things I love more than Harry Potter (all things Star Wars, Marvel and Hunger Games excluded). I grew up reading the books, waiting anxiously for the next volume as well as watching every movie at least three times at the theatre. In fact, the movies were several of firsts for me: my first movie in English, my first midnight premiere and my first 8 am premiere (which, thankfully, was also the last). Fortunately, I am surrounded by wonderful people who share my devotion...um...I mean appreciation. I don't know who was more excited when I gave K tickets to the Harry Potter Warner Brothers Studio Tour, her or me. The only problem was finding a date what with her down in London town and me all the way up in Scotland. But alas, my spring break provided the ideal opportunity and off to Hogwarts we went.

Embarrassingly, we had quite a few troubles getting to Leavsden. They may or may not have included getting on the wrong train, desperately searching for a cab and paying an insane amount of money to eventually make it on time. In our defence, we were running on very little sleep and unhealthy levels of excitement. But enough with that. Let us take a stroll through my childhood.

You enter into the Great Hall...and the tour could really end here because I can sit/ walk around the hall forever. Unfortunately, they usher you out after only fifteen minutes to make room for the next group. Such a shame.





Next you get a glimpse of the props and costume departments and their work. It's slightly surreal to realise those costumes have actually been worn on-screen.





Look who found the boys' dorm room.



I would have loved to take a quick nap, but alas, Quidditch practise awaits.





The burrow might have been one of my favourite sets full of magical appliances and homely warmth radiating from every corner.




The ministry sets are breath-taking and nothing can quite compare to the eerily creepy feeling of standing in Umbridge's office.

 



Once outside, we went for lunch which included hot dogs, mango and K's very first butter beer (which she did not like at all). We proceeded to hop onto the Knight Bus, one at a time, but eventually decided on walking the rest of the way.







Who knew Godric's Hollow was right next to Privet Drive. Although, to be fair I would have preferred the latter accommodation option. The Potter's Cottage is just a tiny bit to unsteady for my taste.



One of the most interesting things is seeing how some of the creatures are brought to life like the Mandrake below. However, for me this is always accompanied by a bittersweet feeling of the movies loosing a bit of their magical mystery.




The trough treat of the tour without question is entering Diagon Alley. It's grand and detailed and the lighting imitates different times of day and if they had given me a set of robes I would just about have been convinced I was actually a witch.







You end the tour with a large scale model of Hogwarts which is full of loving details and winding corridors and majestic towers and you ask yourself why this could not just be a real, actual boarding school. Never mind that I'm way too old. But one there's one thing I really don't get. How long does it take to get from a classroom one one side of the castle to one on the other side? I mean, they must have long, long breaks in between lessons.







Judging from the gigantic smile that didn't leave K's face for the rest of the weekend I think I did good with this present (humbly speaking of course). Now, how the hell do I top that this year?

Comments

Popular Posts