Golfing through life

I know, it has been far too long. Shame on me! Turns out postgraduate studies are not the laid back affair I thought they would be. So here I am, in the middle of Scotland, one of the most beautiful places on earth, and I am pretty much in permanent self-confinement in the library. But fear not, I did venture out. A while back, St Andrews hosted the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship a charity golf tournament. Old Course is kind of a bit famous among the golfing world so they were able to attract some pretty high profile golfers (or so I was told). Admittedly, I don't know the first thing about golf. I tagged along anyway and captured the scenery.



Not knowing a thing, attending the first few holes of the best German golfer seemed like a good place to start. His name is Martin Kaymer. and if you can spot him in the next pictures you're better than we were. (we actually mistook his caddie for him but shhhh).






Well, of course you were clever enough to know who he was. Here he is in the middle of his very first swing. But enough with the golf talk. Have a look at the beautiful landscape instead.




On the move...






Now, I don't know about you, but golf isn't the most exciting sport I ever saw. Despite that, the crowd that came out to watch and support the golfers was admiringly big. For it being St Andrews, in the middle of Fife, at least 90 minutes away from the next big city (I had to resist the urge writing civilisation just there).




We followed Mr. Kaymer and his team around for a little while.





And got pretty close at some point.




Others ventured a bit off course...














Overall, it was a beautiful day but somehow I am resistant to the excitement that apparently is golf. All around me people succumb to its draw but it seems to evade me. Is it just me? Am I doing something wrong? Or is it ok to expect sport to at the very least make you sweat? 
Well, in any case after five holes I had enough and made my way back into town to have afternoon tea. Because chatting with friends, scones with cream and jam, and a nice hot beverage are simply more my cup of tea, if you get my drift.



Comments

Popular Posts