We're all a little mad here

If you have ever been to St Andrews chances are you heard of this thing called Raisin Weekend. Now, I'm a postgrad and as such I wasn't as involved as I would have been as a fresher. Believe it or not, but I do not have an academic family and I spent my Sunday at home writing one of the most nerve wrecking essays I have ever had the 'pleasure' of doing. I did venture out for a quick run to Tesco's and suffice it to say I hurried to get back as soon as humanly possible. Maybe I'm getting old or maybe I have always been a poor sport when it comes to fun activities involving alcohol en masse, but whatever the reason I was just glad not to be a part of it.

That was until Monday. Because really, Raisin weekend is just the (negligible) build-up towards Raisin Monday! Here, the little raisins get dressed up by their parents and flock towards the quad for a good old-fashioned shaving foam fight. Some of my housemates have a more active social life than I do (not hard these days) and actually had academic parents to dress them up. So I grabbed my camera and acted the part of investigative journalist for the day.

Lesson number one: this guy did everything right!



Lesson number two: this isn't just some tiny student tradition, it's a massive event with security and marked pathways.




Lesson three: your parenting skills are judged by the costumes you put your kids in. The more out there the better. And they MUST match! You are a family after all.






Number four: the second you get inside the quad you need to be ready to attack (or be attacked).













Lesson number five: You can't beat the minions! 



I immediately went to the side with the rest of my peer journalists and managed the impressive feat of getting in and out without being covered in foam. Some considered that a larger accomplishment than actually taking part. It did seem like fun from where I was standing. And it's quite a brilliant (read: unique) tradition, maybe a little bit mad. But then again, I am starting to think we all are up here.

Comments

Popular Posts